Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Not Your Average Potato Salad

Potatoes are often overlooked, but eaten in moderation they provide many health benefits. Red potatoes in particular. One medium red potato, skin on, contains as much fiber as most whole grain breads, 45% of the RDA of vitamin C, more potassium than bananas and if that's not enough, they rank in the top 20 of most anti-oxidant rich foods. (Values will slightly vary when cooked)
That being said, potato salad was always neither here nor there for me. I would eat a little at pot-lucks or barbecues and every once in a while I would make some at home when potatoes were on sale. Last month when I was menu planning for our camping trip (which is no easy feat with our strict diet!), my husband asked if I could make him a potato salad that he would be "allowed" to eat. As usual, I headed over to Gluten-Free Goddess to see what she had to offer.( For several years, this has become my fall-back website for yummy food that is sensitive to several food allergies/intolerance.) It didn't take me long to find her Horseradish Spiked Red Potato Salad Recipe. And, of course, I did what I almost always do with recipes.....I tweaked it!
It was super easy to throw together and instantly became a hit. In fact, I usually make a double batch because I think that the left-overs are even better.
So, here is my "tweaked" version that I'm calling...

Dilly Red Potato Salad.

2 to 2 1/2 pounds small red potatoes
Sea salt
1/4 cup fruity tasting extra virgin olive oil, as needed
4-6 tablespoons raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar
1 smallish red onion, finely diced
2 tablespoons prepared German Mustard - I used Whole Foods 365
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
2 teaspoons dill
1/4 cup real mayo - optional


Wash and cut up the red potatoes, toss them into a pot of salted fresh water. Bring the water to a boil and simmer the potatoes until they are fork tender. Drain well.

Pour the cooked potatoes into a large bowl. While the potatoes are still warm, sprinkle with sea salt and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and vinegar. Toss to coat and to soften the edges of the potatoes pieces a bit. Add the diced onion, German Mustard and toss to distribute. Taste and season with more sea salt and plenty of fresh ground pepper. Add the chopped parsley and dill. Mix.

Taste test. Add more olive oil or vinegar, sea salt or herbs.

Serve warm  or cover and chill.

We love it chilled. There's just something about cool potato salad on a hot summer day!

If  chilling, I prefer to mix in an ever so slight amount (about 1/4 cup) of real mayo to the potato salad after it has cooled. The dish is yummy, as-is, but I like the creaminess of texture that the mayo adds.

Serves 6 to 8.
Enjoy!!!

3 comments:

  1. I like the gluten-free goddess, too! This recipe sounds delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will make this for our road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just printed it out. I'm going to try it! Thanks, Kell. Keep passing these good ones along. :) - Janece

    ReplyDelete